Here's a review of someone's best bass players list. I'm only reviewing those I have opinions on. If you want to see this site, go to: http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-metal/41960-100-greatest-bass-players-rock-pop.html
The information here is the property of that person. I think. Please go to that site and rate his or her list. It is very good.
2. John Entwhistle (The Who): Yes. He was an absolutely amazing player. Very, very underrated.
4. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, session work): Great player. Also very skillful with the Chapman Stick (His instrument of choice with King Crimson; check out "Sleepless" by them)
5. Paul McCartney (Beatles, Wings, solo): Although I am a little biased (My favorite member of my favorite band), he has a lot of skill. Very intricate lines, and quick playing.
8. Jack Bruce (Cream): No. I don't think he's that great.
17. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin, Them Crooked Vultures, session work): Yes. One of my favorite musicians ever. Also very good at the keyboard.
34. Mike Rutherford (Genesis, solo): Higher. Fast, skillful, good writer. Everything you might want in a bassist.
35. Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order): Yes. He started the idea that the bass is as important as the guitar. A bass revolutionary. Let's have a moment of silence please...okay that's enough.
39. Sting (The Police, solo): Yes. Really good at reggae.
40. Paul Simonon (The Clash): Yes. He has more skill at bass than most punks.
43. Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club): Higher. My favorite female bassist (Okay, I don't know of any more, but even if I did, I would still like her the best).
50. Jah Wobble (Public Image Ltd.): Yes. Very hypnotic.
51. Colin Moulding (XTC, Dukes of Stratosphear): Yes. Another revolutionary with Peter Hook at giving the bass a better role in rock.
52. Holger Czukay (Can): Higher. He influenced at least two other people on here.
64. Nick Lowe (Solo, Brinzley Shwartz, Rockpile): Faster. Mile-a-minute lines coupled with occasional key changes: all while singing.
73. Trevor Bolder (David Bowie): Higher. Fast as lightning.
Here's who I think should be on also:
Andrew Bodnar, Bruce Thomas, Glen Matlock, Herbie Flowers, Michael Ivins, and Cris Kurtwood.