Music and Stuff

Hello, and welcome to this blog , the perfect place to find reviews of all types of music; rock, electronic, hip hop, and others, reviewed by a teenager completely immersed in all music. Here I will review classic albums, both famous and obscure. So, enjoy my opinions.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Best bassists

Here's a review of someone's best bass players list. I'm only reviewing those I have opinions on. If you want to see this site, go to: http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-metal/41960-100-greatest-bass-players-rock-pop.html
The information here is the property of that person. I think. Please go to that site and rate his or her list. It is very good.
2. John Entwhistle (The Who): Yes. He was an absolutely amazing player. Very, very underrated.
4. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, session work): Great player. Also very skillful with the Chapman Stick (His instrument of choice with King Crimson; check out "Sleepless" by them)
5. Paul McCartney (Beatles, Wings, solo): Although I am a little biased (My favorite member of my favorite band), he has a lot of skill. Very intricate lines, and quick playing.
8. Jack Bruce (Cream): No. I don't think he's that great.
17. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin, Them Crooked Vultures, session work): Yes. One of my favorite musicians ever. Also very good at the keyboard.
34. Mike Rutherford (Genesis, solo): Higher. Fast, skillful, good writer. Everything you might want in a bassist.
35. Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order): Yes. He started the idea that the bass is as important as the guitar. A bass revolutionary. Let's have a moment of silence please...okay that's enough.
39. Sting (The Police, solo): Yes. Really good at reggae.
40. Paul Simonon (The Clash): Yes. He has more skill at bass than most punks.
43. Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club): Higher. My favorite female bassist (Okay, I don't know of any more, but even if I did, I would still like her the best).
50. Jah Wobble (Public Image Ltd.): Yes. Very hypnotic.
51. Colin Moulding (XTC, Dukes of Stratosphear): Yes. Another revolutionary with Peter Hook at giving the bass a better role in rock.
52. Holger Czukay (Can): Higher. He influenced at least two other people on here.
64. Nick Lowe (Solo, Brinzley Shwartz, Rockpile): Faster. Mile-a-minute lines coupled with occasional key changes: all while singing.
73. Trevor Bolder (David Bowie): Higher. Fast as lightning.
Here's who I think should be on also:
Andrew Bodnar, Bruce Thomas, Glen Matlock, Herbie Flowers, Michael Ivins, and Cris Kurtwood.

1 comment:

  1. I think you might be underrating Bruce here. He did work with Mayall's Bluesbreakers then joined Cream where he did some of his best work. He laid down some great basslines while playing second fiddle to some hot shot guitarist.

    ReplyDelete