Music and Stuff

Hello, and welcome to this blog , the perfect place to find reviews of all types of music; rock, electronic, hip hop, and others, reviewed by a teenager completely immersed in all music. Here I will review classic albums, both famous and obscure. So, enjoy my opinions.

Monday, July 5, 2010

The Soft Bulletin: The Flaming Lips, 1999

This is, without a doubt, the best album of the 1990's. This is the best Flaming Lips album, and I would put this in the top 10 of the greatest albums of all time. Here's the track by track review.
The UK release included the song "Slow Motion" in place of "The Spiderbite Song", the latter appearing only on the US release. They both appeared on "The Soft Bulletin 5.1", the 5.1 surround sound remix of the album. I will review the US release, but will review "Slow Motion" at the end. Also, tracks 1, 5, & 14 are remixes by Peter Mokran. Tracks 1 & 14 also appear in their orginal form, although track 5 does not.
1. Race For The Prize (Remix): 10/10. One of the best songs of all time, and this is a cleaner, more commercial mix than the original. Great drumming.
2. A Spoonful Weighs a Ton: 10/10. A little sad at first, but get's a bit faster, and has a weird instrumental part that comes up sometimes, that doesn't really sound like the rest of the song.
3. The Spark That Bled: 10/10. I just listened to the whole song, because before this I had only listened to the beginning, and I thought the whole song was like that. By the time I heard the "I stood up, and I said yeah" part, I realized how great it was. By the time I got to the "From this moment on" part, it was my favorite.
4. The Spiderbite Song: 10/10. Better than I thought. After the first verse, it get's way better.
5. Buggin' (Remix): 10/10. Included in the Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me soundtrack despite not being in the movie. And I would know. I've seen that movie dozens of times. Anyway, it's a great song.
6. What Is the Light?: 10/10. A great song about...well, light.
7. The Observer: 10/10. A great instrumental that is basically "What Is the Light?" instrumentally done, with new guitars and effects.
8. Waitin' For a Superman: 10/10. The original version. Sounds a little more mono than the remix, but still is great.
9. Suddenly Everything Has Changed: 10/10. A great song with many different speeds that they play the same melody in. Great guitars.
10. The Gash: 7/10. The only bad song on here. Certain parts are really good, but the rest is weird.
11. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate: 10/10. One of my favorite Flaming Lips songs of all time. Amazingly cool voice effects.
12. Sleeping On the Roof: 10/10. A great instrumental that sounds like, well, sleeping on the roof. Sprinkler effects.
13. Race For The Prize: 10/10. The original. This shows how good the drummer, Steven Drozd, is. I believe he is the best drummer of all time. Yes, better than John Bonham.
14. Waitin' For a Superman (Remix): 10/10. A great remix of a great song.
UK Release Track 4 - Slow Motion: 10/10. This is a great song, and I like it better than some others on the US release, but it really doesn't seem to fit in with the rest because of the use of the drum machine effects. Still, it would be worth getting the 5.1 release just for this song.
This album is as close to perfect as possible. It belongs in every record collection. Get the 5.1 release. I don't own it, but I'm going to be getting it from my local library. It includes videos, interviews, and the original album (All the songs released in both the US and the UK) in 5.1 surround sound.
You must get this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment