Music and Stuff

Hello, and welcome to this blog , the perfect place to find reviews of all types of music; rock, electronic, hip hop, and others, reviewed by a teenager completely immersed in all music. Here I will review classic albums, both famous and obscure. So, enjoy my opinions.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fear of Music: Talking Heads, 1979

This, by far, my favorite Talking Heads album. It combines the use of african music that they would use to a greater extent on "Remain In Light" (1980), and the industrial music they had used on their two previous albums, "Talking Heads: 77" (1977) and "More Songs About Buildings and Food" (1978). This is also highly regarded as one of the best albums of all time, and was given reviews of favourable to highly favourable by Rolling Stone magazine, The New York Times, and The Los Angeles Times. It was given a 9/10 review by Spin magazine, an A minus by The Village Voice, and was given 4 and 1/2 stars by Allmusic magazine. It was produced by the master himself, Brian Eno. Here's the track by track review.
1. I Zimbra: 10/10. This a good opener using a highly african rythm. Features Robert Fripp on guitar, and Ari (Don't know who that is) and Gene Wilder (Yes, it's THE Gene Wilder, AKA Willy Wonka from the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, the Waco Kid from "Blazing Saddles", and Dr. Frederick Frankenstein in "Young Frankenstein") on congas.
2. Mind: 10/10. A great song about how "I need something to change your mind". Play it loud in your car.
3. Paper: 10/10. This one apparently compares paper to love. I would have never guessed that. One of my favorite songs by the Talking Heads.
4. Cities: 20/10. This is probably my favorite Talking Heads song. Great guitar parts, awesome treatments by Eno. Absolutely essential.
5. Life During Wartime: 10/10. A really good song with a disco influenced beat. Gene Wilder on conags again.
6. Memories Can't Wait: 10/10. Another one of my all time favorites. I love the chorus, and I have been trying for ages to learn to play this.
7. Air: 10/10. A great example of the Talking Heads' sonwriting: It's about a world where air is toxic. I wonder where they got that song idea from...
8. Heaven: 10/10. The first Talking Heads song I ever heard, and the first I learned to play. I love the guitar.
9. Anmials: 10/10. Complains about animals. "They're never there when you need them"
10. Electric Guitar: 10/10. Another all time favorite. Seems to be about a world where the guitar is illegal.
11. Drugs: 10/10. The paranoid thoughts of a drug addict.
You must get this. It is awesome. 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment